Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reminiscing

Have you ever read over something and it sparked a memory...or ten?  Where one memory simply led to another memory until it is simply overwhelming? Reminiscing on the "Good ol' Days."  That is how this morning started out.  If you didnt know, this past year at CIY, they handed out these cards.  The rule was, you didnt have to open the card at all, but if you did, you have one year to complete it.  So I prayed about it and I decided if I open this card, it will make me a better person. 
     My card said to read the whole bible in a year.
And that is what I have been doing.  I am currently 38.7% of the way through the bible chronologically.  They have free reading plans at youversion.com if you are interested.  Anyways, I digress

In today's reading, I was suppose to read Psalm 62

     "My soul finds rest in God alone, my salvation comes form him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation, he is my fortress, I will never be shaken."

Its an awesome passage for those who are wanting to find a sense of encouragement.  But as soon as I read the first line, it brought back memories of the song that comes from this passage in tour choir.  Ah, the good ol days.  Which the thoughts and memories of tour choir led me to the memories I have throughout my 4 years at Johnson.  Brought me back to the friendships I had and a few I have lost throughout those years.  It made me miss the people who played a big role in my life and who have helped make me who I am today. 

Looking back at these friendships, some I wonder why I was even friends with them, other, I wish I would have gotten to know them a little better, and some, simply because of graduation, have taken us to different states, different path, with different schedules becoming harder and harder to keep in touch.  Friendship are all around us.  Some are not good friendships, others are more give than they are take.  Some friendships you will have the rest of your life, while others were only put in your life to "transition" you into the next stage of your life.  I have a lot of "transition" friends and a few friends where we can just pick up the conversation where we last left off over a month ago.

Looking back at the friendships I have/had during Johnson, I am happy that I had them, even if they turned out for the worse, because they have turned me into what I am today.  Surround yourself with good friends, because you will turn into the people who you hang around.  Surround yourself with friends who will encourage you and make you a better person, not just one who will bring you down.
         Trust me, I have been there...

As you go on into your day, and something sparks a memory of the past...take some time and be thankful for those.  Thankful for the people who you shared that memory with and the friendships you have.  


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmx9p6vAL1g

No comments:

Post a Comment